9/27/07

Update

So I've been posting occassionally, but I haven't said much about what's going on in my life right now. I started a job at ProStar Industries. Our good friend Patrick hooked me up... for which I am very grateful. I was busy the first couple of days, but I haven't had much to do the last 2 because I'm waiting on the boss to do her part of a project before I can continue. I somehow inspired a mass movement of desks. They cleared one off for me, and ever since they have been rearranging furniture, cleaning, and organizing. I think it's starting to settle down now.

Tuesday night I went to drop Brock off at school, and when I came back, the window of his car was out of his track and sticking out from the car. It's really hard to explain what it was doing, but it was not supposed to be doing that. When I picked Brock up, I didn't get to show it to him right away because he had a softball game. (They won!) After the game, I was showing him the window and we were rolling it up and down, and somehow...my finger got rolled up in the window. Not pleasant. It hurt, but it wasn't as bruised and sore as I thought it would be. I didn't think I would be able to do anything with it the next day. He rolled it up on his own finger too right after he did it to me. Apparently automatic windows are a little too fancy for us! I thought someone may have tried to break into our car because I couldn't think of any other reason it would be like that, but Brock said he doesn't think that's what happened. He didn't give a better reason though, so who knows.

The Office season 4 starts tonight. I've been waiting several months for this day. I don't know what it is about that show, but I love it. It's hilarious. We have the other 3 seasons on DVD, and I watch them repeatedly. Other shows I'm watching this season are Dancing with the Stars and Beauty and the Geek. I was really excited about several shows that were starting, but I realized that I can't really watch more than 2 shows that come on at the same time. I can record one and watch one. So I had to sacrifice a couple.

I've been reading a lot lately. My friend Amber let me borrow some books that she found at her parents' house. I'm reading some Jack Weyland books. He's the one that wrote Charly, the depressing one that they made the movie out of. I read Brittany and Emily, and now I'm reading Lean On Me. Brock told me this morning that he was surprised by how fast I'm reading these books. I just got them a couple weeks ago. I told him that I used to be a reader when I was a kid. He said that's why I'm so smart. haha. So apparently I still like to read. I stopped enjoying it around 8th or 9th grade, and I haven't really read much for pleasure until now. Isn't that sad? School turned me off of reading. I wish we had a better system of schooling in our country, but I won't get started on that topic.

Last night we had our pack meeting for cub scouts. I taught a couple of the scouts in my den a few weeks ago how to do a flag ceremony, and they got to do it last night. It was SO cute! They're 8 and 9, and they're so funny.

I don't think I mentioned it in my blog, but I did substitute teaching for a few days when I was still looking for a job. I taught 7th and 8th grade for 2 days, high school for 1 day, 1st grade for 1 day, and 6th grade for half a day. 7th and 8th grade were the easiest, and 1st grade was the hardest. It's funny because that's exactly opposite of what I expected. The 1st graders were so cute though. It was hard not to laugh at everything they did. They wanted to tell me how to do everything. If I wasn't doing it exactly like their teacher usually did it, they all let me know. I never realized how important it is for them to have the same routine every day. They don't like change. I don't think being a substitute turned me off of possibly becoming a teacher one day, but it did turn my off of substitute teaching. It was stressful to have to show up every morning and only have a few minutes to figure out what's going on that day. Sometimes the teacher doesn't leave enough work to do, and it's hard to keep them quiet because what else are they supposed to do? The kids really take advantage of substitutes. 6th graders especially ask to go EVERYWHERE. They want to go to the bathroom, to get a drink, to the library, to the computer lab, to so-and-so's classroom. It's ridiculous.

So that's basically my life lately. Brock has some stuff going on of his own, but I'll save that for another time or possibly for him to post on his own :) Sorry there aren't any pictures, but I haven't been carrying my camera around lately. I'll do better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to see something new on here! I've never seen your Europe pictures, looks like it was a lot of fun. I've never been there, but we are planning a trip to Peru and Macchu Pichu next summer, that should be fun! You are definitely brave to substitute teach, I don't know that I could handle middle-schoolers. Hope all else is well, what are your plans for January?

Lydia said...

Sounds like you had quite the adventure with substitute teaching! Sorry about yours and Brocks fingers ;) So when you finish those books you HAVE to read the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer they are so easy to read and soooo addicting.